Common causes of residential fires in Corpus Christi and how to avoid them
When you own a home, there are numerous hazards to keep in mind. Fire is foremost among them, as it can occur anywhere and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were over 350,000 recorded incidents. Thankfully, there are things you can do to avoid them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Corpus Christi.
What sparks residential fires in Corpus Christi?
Fires can begin anywhere and without warning, whether sparked by a discarded cigarette in a waste container or an unattended stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most frequent types of residential fires in Corpus Christi and all other areas. Ignored stovetops are the primary culprit, so always pay attention to that smoking skillet when making a meal. It’s also important to note that drenching a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Portable heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Using them for too long might cause internal pieces to degrade and catch fire. Frayed cords and situating heaters by flammable objects like bed sheets or window coverings may also lead to disastrous results. Other heating devices, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, may cause fires and ought to be inspected regularly.
- Electrical: Worn out wiring, faulty outlets, and overloaded extension cords are a few of the ways electrical complications cause fires. Never operate an appliance with a tattered cord, and ensure combustible materials like paper aren’t layed on top of a lampshade, get it checked out immediately.
- Candles: When there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires from candles are still frequently reported and often result from carelessness. Placing candles in close proximity to combustible objects like curtains or keeping them within the domain of an inquisitive pet will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: Even with the overall decrease in smoking across the nation, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration announced that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Nodding off with a cigarette in hand or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can bring about catastrophic results.
The most effective way to prevent house fires in Corpus Christi is to avoid careless behavior. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t leave a candle burning, and discard cigarettes properly. If you have to run a space heater, do so infrequently and get one that includes an automatic shut-off switch in the event it tips over.
Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Corpus Christi
You need to have smoke detectors on all floors and think about installing more near sleeping areas. But you can take your home’s safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety devices will not only detect smoke but can also trigger due to rising heat. Furthermore, considering they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring specialists whenever a disaster occurs. This is a worthwhile feature, specifically when you’re not around to hear the alarm and contact the fire department.
Safeguard your home against various dangers with a Vivint smart home in Corpus Christi
Elevate the safety of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll be thankful for the instant alerts to your mobile device and the 24-hour support that you get with professional monitoring. Contact (361) 733-2385 to talk with a Vivint representative.